There is no law stating that /robots. txt must be obeyed, nor does it constitute a binding contract between site owner and user, but having a /robots. txt can be relevant in legal cases.
What happens if you dont obey robots txt?
3 Answers. The Robot Exclusion Standard is purely advisory, it’s completely up to you if you follow it or not, and if you aren’t doing something nasty chances are that nothing will happen if you choose to ignore it.
Do I have to follow robots txt?
You should not use robots. txt as a means to hide your web pages from Google Search results. This is because other pages might point to your page, and your page could get indexed that way, avoiding the robots.
Can bots ignore robots txt?
Also, note that bad bots will likely ignore your robots. txt file, so you may want to block their user-agent with an . htaccess file. … txt file as a target list, so you may want to skip listing directories in the robots.
Should I respect robots txt?
Respect for the robots. txt shouldn’t be attributed to the fact that the violators would get into legal complications. Just like you should be following lane discipline while driving on a highway, you should be respecting the robots. txt file of a website you are crawling.
How do I remove robots txt?
If you need a page deleted, then blocking it in robots. txt will actively prevent that from happening. In that case, the best thing to do is add a noindex tag to remove these pages from Google’s index and once they are all removed, you can then block in robots. txt.
How do I block a crawler in robots txt?
If you want to prevent Google’s bot from crawling on a specific folder of your site, you can put this command in the file:
- User-agent: Googlebot. Disallow: /example-subfolder/ User-agent: Googlebot Disallow: /example-subfolder/
- User-agent: Bingbot. Disallow: /example-subfolder/blocked-page. html. …
- User-agent: * Disallow: /
How do I block pages in robots txt?
How to Block URLs in Robots txt:
- User-agent: *
- Disallow: / blocks the entire site.
- Disallow: /bad-directory/ blocks both the directory and all of its contents.
- Disallow: /secret. html blocks a page.
- User-agent: * Disallow: /bad-directory/
How do I stop web crawlers?
Block Web Crawlers from Certain Web Pages
- If you don’t want anything on a particular page to be indexed whatsoever, the best path is to use either the noindex meta tag or x-robots-tag, especially when it comes to the Google web crawlers.
- Not all content might be safe from indexing, however.